Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tex-Mex Calzones

This is one of those recipes that I've had for a few years and I always passed it up because I thought it was going to be too much work. Well, I'm happy to report that I was completely and totally wrong. (You better read it again because those words don't often leave my lips, something I'm working on admitting more often) This was super easy and really flavorful. E. and I had a blast making them. We added a bean and corn salad on the side to round out the meal. Even my teenagers loved it. Score!!!!


8          oz        ground turkey
1/2                   onion, chopped
1                       sweet bell pepper, any color
1           tbsp     ground cumin
1           tsp       chili powder
2                      cloves garlic, chopped
1/2       cup      fire-roasted salsa verde
1                       11 oz can thin crust pizza dough
3/4      cup      shredded Mexican blend cheese
                        cooking spray
                        sour cream


Preheat oven to 425°.

In a nonstick skillet cook turkey about 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add onion and next  4 ingredients, through garlic, to pan and cook 4 minutes or until the vegetables are tender but still crisp. Remove pan from heat and stir in the salsa verde.





Unroll the dough and divide into 4 equal portions; rolling each portion in to a 6 x 4 rectangle. Using the bottom half of the rectangle, spoon 1/2 cup of the turkey mixture and top with about 3 tablespoons of cheese then fold the other half of dough over and press to seal the side. Transfer to a baking sheet coated with cooking spry and bake for about 12 minutes or until the tops are golden. Serve with sour cream.

*I didn't post this one right away and have since made it again using chopped up rotisserie chicken instead of turkey that I added with the salsa verde. It was equally delightful and just as flavourful and it would be hard for me to pick which way I liked it better. I guess the best way is with which ever meat I have on hand :)

Serves 4
Recipe adapted from:  Cooking Light  |  March 2009
Enjoy!!!


Alysia

No comments:

Post a Comment