Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A beautiful weekend in the country

So E and I found ourselves in the unusual position of being the only ones home this last weekend. TechMan was away on a business trip and my older kids were at their dads, which left E and I with a quiet house and a lot of free time. So, figuring that I could use the relaxation and E would enjoy a change of scenery, Friday afternoon I packed a small bag, loaded up the dog, picked E up from school and over the hills and through the woods to Grammy and Grandpa's house we went. Now when I say over the hills and through the wood that's exactly what I mean because their house lies on thirteen acres directly on the Trinity River that to get to you have to pass through a lot of meandering hills filled with cows and horses and a two and a half mile trek down a dirt road that literally winds through a forest.



This is our favorite place to go to when the hubby and I need to relax and unwind. It's a no makup, sitting on the back porch surrounded by nothing but the river, trees, and the occasional deer, kind of weekend; aaahhh, so peaceful. For the kids, it's about the fun. The kind of fun they can only get at Grammy and Grandpa's house. (I think that's just the coolest thing and the kind of memories they will remember forever.) 
It's about an hour and half drive, so we got there just in time for dinner. K had made a delicious chicken and wild rice soup that we ate out on the deck by the fire, while E played with Grampa's constellation app on his ipad that shows where all the stars and planets are in your part of the sky. (very cool technology)

You can find the recipe on the recipe page.
The next morning was a little chilly so we had our coffee by the fire again. E waisted no time getting on with the fun and she spent the better part of the day on her 4wheeler and doing crafting projects with Grammy in her art cabin. (Aren't you jealous, a whole cabin just for her crafting projects, I know I am!)
That's the cabin in the back.

That afternoon we decided to make cookies. E and I made these rosemary orange thumbprints that are... melt in your mouth... enjoy with a hot cup of coffee... totally mommy's, (and maybe daddies too, if you feel like sharing) divine. These aren't the cookies you make for the kids. These are the cookies you make when you have some girl friends coming over for afternoon coffee. 
These are without a doubt my favorite big girl cookies, at least for the moment.
You can find this recipe on the recipe page. 




E helped me with my cookies but she won't eat them so K helped her make these snicker doodles as well. (I didn't want her to feel left out while I was daintily chowing down on the rosemary thumbprint.)
 What else can you say about snicker doodles but "YUM". As cookies go, these are an all time favorite for the kids in my house, big and little. If you have never made them you should give it a try. They are supper easy and really, really yummy.




Sunday afternoon E and I said good buy to Grammy and Grampa and headed back to civilization, rounding out our wonderful weekend with a dinner out, just her and I. (Because who wants to cook after a weekend like this)
It was a great relaxing weekend, just what I needed to unwind after a busy holiday month, and as I sit here and write about it I am so looking forward to this afternoons cup of coffee and cookie. (Who am I kidding, it will probably be more like "cookies", as in 2,3... half a dozen. Who needs will power!)
Tell me where you go when you need to unwind.



Alysia

No comments:

Post a Comment